They are very easy to make once you get the hang of the rolling part.
First, assemble all of your ingredients in the center of dining table.
Briefly dip Rice Paper in lukewarm water and allow excess water to drip off.
Place Rice Paper on your plate with a little hanging over the edge. You will need to grab this edge later...this is the easiest way...trust me!
Place 2-3 shrimp on rice paper closest to you. Place 1 lettuce leaf, veggies, meat and rice vermicelli on top. Careful not to put too much or it will be to fat to roll!
Beginning at the overhanging edge closest to you, carefully grasp the rice paper with both hands.
And fold the edge over on top and under your fillings to cover them.
Then carefully fold in both edges.
Tuck the edge under and gently roll away from you until you have a tight little roll.
Dip and Enjoy!!! Fireman prefers a fish sauce based dipping sauce (nuoc mam cham) and I prefer a hoisin based dipping sauce or even low sodium soy sauce works for me!
Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Chicken Breast (cooked and sliced thin)
Shrimp (shelled and cooked)
Spring Roll Wrappers-made from rice (Banh Trang)**
Rice Vermicelli (Rice Stick)**
Green Leaf Lettuce (rinsed and drained)
Cucumber (peeled and sliced in thin strips)
1-2 Bowls of Lukewarm Water
Pork Loin (cooked and sliced very thin)
Fresh Mint Leaves
**Available at Asian Supermarket
1. Boil rice vermicelli in water approx. 2-3 minutes, stiring occasionally.
2. Strain rice vermicelli in mesh strainer and flush with cold water immediately for 1 minute to stop cooking process. Put in serving bowl.
3. Arrange all your ingredients in the center of dining table.
4. In a bowl of lukewarm water, briefly soften 1 sheet of rice paper and allow excess water to drip off. Lay on your plate over hanging edge slightly.
4. Lay 2-3 shrimp on the rice paper on the end closest to you. Lay 1 lettuce leaf, assorted vegetables/meat and rice vermicelli on top of shrimp.
5. Fold wide edge closest to you over the top of the fillings and tuck under. Then fold in both sides. Continue rolling spring roll away from you until tightly rolled.
6. Serve with a variety of dipping sauces.
-Nuoc Cham (Fish Sauce)
-Bean Dipping Sauce
Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/3 cup fish sauce
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 thai chili peppers, cut in rings (add more chili peppers for more kick)
1. Boil water. Add vinegar and sugar and return to boil.
2. Allow it to cool.
3. Add garlic and peppers to mixture.
4. Add the fish sauce and combine.
*This mixture can be kept for several weeks in fridge.
Bean Dipping Sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup bean sauce
1/4 cup plum sauce
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp peanut butter
1. In medium saucepan, combine first 5 ingredients and cook over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble.
2. Stir in peanut butter and remove from heat. Allow to cool before serving.
* A friend of mine makes a dipping sauce similar to this one with less water, hoisin sauce and peanut butter that is very tasty.