Chinese Take Out Style Orange Chicken
~Recipe adapted by Two Crazy Cupcakes from allrecipes.com
***Marinate your chicken breast strips in OJ for at least 30 minutes.
16 oz orange marmalade
4 tbsp orange juice- no pulp
1 ¼ cups water
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar (I didn't have it the second time so I used white vinegar-- just as good)
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (kikoman preferred)
1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch of ground ginger or ½ tsp fresh minced ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste but at least ¼ tsp)
3 tbsp cornstarch mixed 4 tbsp with cold water until completely dissolved with no lumps
Crispy chicken breast chunks:
Cut 3 breasts into thin chunks. Marinate strips in OJ for at least 30 minutes. Combine 2 cups flour with salt, pepper, Lawry’s season salt, cayenne pepper, pinch of baking powder. Dip chicken in beaten egg and coat in flour mix. Fry in 1-2 oil until golden –OR- oven crisp chicken 375 for at least 30 minutes turn halfway through cooking time.)
***You can also substitute crispy frozen breast tenders cooked according to package for chicken to make it fast and easy but "from scratch" tastes more like a restaurant.
1) Combine all ingredients up to red pepper flakes in medium sauce pan.
2) Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally so it does not burn. Remove from heat.
3) Prepare your chicken.
4) Place your sauce back on medium high and bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch/water mixture.
5) Boil about 5 minutes or until thickened and just sticks to back of spoon.
6) Before serving toss your crispy chicken in orange sauce. Serve over white steamed rice with broccoli.